Wednesday 10 July 2013

Lyne Down Roaring Meg


I find this a bit of a sad review to write. Over the last six months or so, I have heard that Lyne Down had ceased making cider and was selling their equipment on. This must have been before Christmas, so what I am reviewing here is probably the last stocks that will be found from this producer... unless they are purchased as a business and continued as Lyne Down.

I am not sure what makes a cider producer cease trading. Poor management, loss of interest or simply the business didn't return what was expected of it. Lyne Down aren't the only ones though - I have heard of at least two others closing the doors in the last six months. Saying that, I have heard of probably a dozen or so newbies to the market - I just hope the skill and quality isn't lost (some new producers do like acidic and acetic ciders!!!)

To a degree, I did consider simply enjoying this cider without reviewing it. After all, it's not as if people are going to be able to go out and find it (unless you look now!) However, call it an act of posterity if you will, I have been reviewing these ciders as much to teach myself about what is available out there as giving entertainment to anyone. So it shall be reviewed.

I have the medium version - simply because I couldn't get a dry version. I have tried the dry version before and it is very good. A note about the name (as I know about it). Roaring Meg is the cannon that is pictured on the front of the label. It was used during the English Civil War (C17th) and can be found at Goodrich Castle in Herefordshire. Well, you have to call your cider something, and I have seen worse examples!!

It pours out bright, moderately carbonated and golden. So it has been through the usual treatment of filtering and carbonation then. It has, however, a rich, deep and fruity smell - think hedgerow fruits and you have it.

To taste, it seems a lot lighter than it's smell, although there is a good balance of fruit going on. When I say balanced, I don't mean 'safe' - this is predominantly tannic fruit, although there is seom acid running through it's veins too. The sweetening has been well done and is understated for a medium. It is just enough to counter the dryness of the tannin.

The aftertaste is quite tangy and is moderate to short in length.

This is a quaffable cider - and at over 5%, I guess that is quite risky! My final note on it was that it is a nice drink. A fitting end to a Herefordshire producer. 78/100 sees a bronze apple going to Lyne Down.


No comments:

Post a Comment