Saturday 10 September 2011

Cornish Orchards Black and Gold - Still, Dry Cider


What do I know about Cornich Orchards? Well, not much before this review, but first off they have a cracking label to the Black and Gold range. Simple, dramatic and has a great impact on the eye. I am loving it. The company itself is a farm based operation in Liskeard, Cornwall. Far from claiming that Cornwall is the centre of all cider making (which I used to believe but know a bit more about cider now), they lean on the rural side of things on their website. Producing both apple juice and cider, the farm is a Duchy of Cornwall holding (I think that has something to do with the Prince of Wales), and have won several accolades such as 'Taste the West' awards.

I am not sure what their production is either, but it very much looks like a full juice, crafted cider albeit there are the signs of filtering, pasteurisation etc. You know, I really can't hold that against them!!

When this is described as flat/still, I can allow a tiny bit of carbonation. I guess its just to keep the cider fresh (and lets be honest, there is nowt like a fresh cider!). It is definitely still though. Continuing with the obligatory sticking of nose into the glass, it smells very fruity. No, I know apples are a fruit, but this is not so much appley as rounded and fruity. Appetising and complex.

When it is tasted, it is a step away from the Herefordshire/Somerset west country ciders. I am getting nice sweet and bittersweet fruit in this, with a measure of acid too - although as the tannins aren't overbearing, I would hazard a guess that this is culinary acid. Very. very tasty.

Now, you need to bear in mind that the different cider regions have different preferences for the taste of a west country cider. I know it is frustrating, but in all honesty that has to be further complicated by an individual makers preference for cider taste. This is a sweet dry cider, almost like white wine in a number of senses. The aftertaste is quite vinious and the tannins, whilst not being hidden, are reigned back.

It could be due to filtering - this is definitely filtered. I might go as far as to say that (in my opinion) it has been quite heavily filtered. I am not so sure about pasteurising... its not so easy to tell and to be honest I couldn't see why they would pasteurise it.

Its a quality 'wine' cider. This makes it a fairly delicate cider, which I like. You have to sit and think about it as you drink it.

In all, it scored 76/100. I am looking forward to trying their other ciders:-)

Oh, and sorry about the photo. They can't all be perfect!!

No comments:

Post a Comment