Tuesday 21 August 2012

Marshwood Vale Cider Company Cider (GBBF)



On Cider Pages I don't 'do' requests. Well, not often anyway - and I generally refuse to take samples as I prefer to do everything in my own time. However, I should note that I have previously had a comment from the producer of this cider to try it. Having heard some good reports about it, I cannot find any reason not to give it a try. So, moving on to the second cider of the evening we have Marshwood Vale's cider.

Marshwood Vale is a producer from Dorset (somewhere near to Dorchester/Bridport to be more precise). I don't think they have been commercial for that long (a couple of years or so) but as there are some seriously good producers in Dorset (e.g. Cider by Rosie... already reviewed here) there should be some good cider apples in this one.

The cider comes to me golden and cloudy. Helpfully, CAMRA have notched up a picture of a cloud on the label, together with a 'T' for tannic. I have to say I usually agree with their ratings (thought not always) much more than I agree with their perception of what is dry or sweet! To smell, it smells a little sweet and fruity - its really quite a gently smell in fact and rather pleasant.

I am not sure that the '5' CAMRA have given it (for 'dry') is necessarily that accurate. I would call it a medium dry personally. This is semantics though as the cider itself is very good. There is a mild tannin running through this cider along with stacks of fruit. Its long and lingering and good - although I am getting some odd varieties going on in my mouth. Saying that, determining what goes into a cider is near enough impossible, so I shall stop there: its a little unusual but quite complex and gentle.

There isn't much acid to counter the tannin, so the aftertaste continues to be all fruit and tannin - and that persistent sweetness which has run behind the flavour all the way through. In addition to this, I do get quite an earthy/soily aftertaste to it - it doesn't spoil the taste  but I suspect this is possibly coming from oak... which to me is more proof that (although traditional) oak is not necessarily the best friend that cider can have.

So, Mr Marshwood Vale, I have now tried your cider. And I like it quite a lot. My notes and scoring gives it a reputable 76/100, so its another bronze apple for the GBBF cider supplier.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for your honesty, Dorset Tit is in fact a 7% medium dry cider, quite how they could of got it that wrong is beyond me.
    It left here in 20 litre bag in box and was then decanted into plastic barrels at some stage, probably did not do it any favours but it seems to have survived the 3 weeks.

    ReplyDelete