Wednesday 23 May 2012

Westons Oak Aged Cider (Medium Sweet)


I am a bit stuck with this one. I didn't necessarily buy it to review, as I have already done its drier cousin and think that it may suffer as a result of that. I also expect it to taste the same just sweeter!

However, its a cider to try and at least serves to demonstrate a couple of things that I already know to be the case with these ciders.  Now, I put this into the perspective that I have been quite harsh on Weston's ciders during the reviews. Let me say that I do like Westons ciders a lot, although I reckon that because I know a thing or two about making cider that I see their operation, what they do to their ciders - and what they could do if they wanted to - and am a little saddened. I know, I know. Economies of scale at play. I get it. There are many worse. There are a growing number who are better too though, and some of these are producing large quantities whilst maintaining  full juice practices.

Anyway, its not my position to have a pop at Westons. They are very popular with the punters and I reckon that goes a long way (mind you, so is Magners...) Lets see how this cider compares to the rest.

Well, it is a faintly golden colours, bright and moderately sparkling cider. It smells of apple juice. Actually, that is all I get from this cider - I have to remember that Westons use juice to sweeten and then pasteurise to stabilise the cider.

Now, I have (I am ashamed to say) re-read the write up for the medium dry. So I know this cider has character and tannins and all. Which is a shame because I really don't get much of that in the medium sweet. Well, I get a hint of the tannin, but this (and everything else) is more or less drowned out by the apple juice. This confirms my suspicion that over use of juice will lead to a flavour competition between the cider and the juice... in this case, the juice wins.

The aftertaste is juice too, although there is some tannin to be found way into the aftertaste. Its a real shame as the dry version had much more going for it.

Oh, and I have no idea where the oak ageing is (but then, I rarely do!).

So, you probably aren't surprised that it isn't going to score as well as its drier counterpart. But actually, that was fairly sweet and I would encourage anyone who likes a sweet cider to go for that over this one any time. Both can be found in Waitrose, so you shouldn't have much hassle in finding the medium dry.

This version scores 58/100.

No comments:

Post a Comment